Friday, April 23, 2010

Reflection of Steve Jobs' speech



I have watched some speeches on Youtube, and there would be some stories, experiences and quotations which made an impression on me and inspired me.

Also, when I listen to the speech, I like to keep those memorable quotes down. Some are inspiring, some are beautifully expressed and some allow me to reflect on myself.

In Steve Jobs’ Stanford Commencement speech, he talked about his early life, his career and his near-death experience. Sometimes, I wonder why people who dropped out of school, become successful and wealthy such as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Richard Branson and so on. Does educational background not important? Are they genii? Or do they luckier than others? Then I found out that those people who did not complete their studies but have outstanding performance are “audacious” and do “complete” things they like and their dreams.

Like what Steve Jobs said in the speech: external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure would affect people when they are going to make the big choices in life. Later, he said, “your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.” Then I think of myself. To be honest, sometimes I’m still unsure that whether my decision to study abroad after graduation is right or not because there are too many things to be considered. Sometimes, my thoughts could be swayed by other people, and external factors may prevent me from doing something further. Even though I know I should follow my heart and walk my own path, it is still hard to stop worrying this and that in mind.

In addition, it proves that life is really full of uncertainty but surprise! “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards;” “Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick;” “it just gets better and better as the years roll on” says Steve Jobs. It seems absurd that Steve Jobs was fired by a company he started. However, he still won something back afterwards. In my personal experience, I do find that losing something but gaining something, and I also believe that things seem unimportant or discouraging could lead to unexpected consequence.

In this fifteen-minute speech, it can be found that Steve Job’s life is full of dramatic ups and downs, which lead to what he has now, and I learn that the only way to go through it is being audacious to do whatever you want and trusting yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Yinvi, if your parents could support you to get a master degree abroad, find a field that interests you and do it. It'll a very good experience. No need to hesitate.

    ReplyDelete